Monday, October 8, 2012

September 2012 Hotlist Week 2

Meat Beat Manifesto - "Test EP" 2012
This EP is weird. It's a lot of different styles, none of which sound very new, but it all still sounds pretty good. It's just strange to me how they seem to have gone out of the way to make all these songs very different from each other, but maybe that is the test. Check out "My Son The DJ The Forger" 

Knxwledge - "Karma.Loops.Prt4" 2012
I like this one a little more than Part 3. Another short little beat tape EP.

Eprom - "Regis Chillbin" 2012
I definitely love goofy upbeat stuff like this. The regular version that appears on the LP is pretty awesome, but Machinedrum takes it to the next level with his remix.

I:Cube - "M Megamix" 2012
This is a pretty cool continuous mix of a bunch of songs by this artist. I have full versions of a couple of these, but most of this is new to me. I don't know what this sub-genre is called. It's dancey but doesn't quite seem like techno or house to me. Check out this fucking sweet preview for this album.

Antibalas - Antibalas - "2012"
This picture does this artwork absolutely no justice. In vinyl form, this album cover looks immaculate. Whoever designed this really outdid themselves. Antibalas come with a self titled LP after being quiet for a couple years and it doesn't disappoint. Just 6 songs, all over 6 minutes each. My favorite is the album closer, "Sare Kon Kon"

Lil Wyte - "Still Doubted" 2012
Lil Wyte is barely tolerable as an MC, but he rhymes on DJ Paul & Juicy J beats, so i'm always gonna listen until that changes. This one is OK, just like all his other albums are only just OK. Check out "Call Us" featuring Thug Therapy.

Buckethead - "Spinal Clock" 2010
Continuing on with my catching up with Buckethead's career from the last few years, this one just seems like it's him playing around with a banjo. I'm cool with that, even if a lot of this is unnecessary. Check out the title track.

Buckethead - "Underground Chamber" 2011
Just one long 30 minute song.  This one is pretty upbeat as he rips through this.

Big Business - "Mind The Drift" 2009
This is my favorite LP by them for sure. "Cats. Mice." and "Ayes Have It" (mysteriously not on youtube) are 2 of my favorite rock songs from the last 10 years or so.

Melvins - "A Senile Animal" 2006
I'm pretty into this album as far as Melvins albums go. Check out "A History Of Drunks"

Necro - "The Murder Murder Kill Kill Double EP" 2012
This album seems kinda tired to me. Maybe i'm just tired of his schtick at this point in my life. Here's a video he directed for one of the songs. It's one of the stronger tracks.

TNGHT - "TNGHT EP" 2012
This EP is the perfect example of people doing the exact right thing at the exact right time before a concept gets too played out or mainstream. Hudson Mohawke and Lunice are really striking while the iron is hot with this type of sound, but still sounding ahead of everyone else trying to do this style too. Here's a little quick megamix of all 5 songs. Great music to dance to, for me at least.


No comments:

Post a Comment