Tuesday, September 25, 2012

September 2012 Hotlist Week 1

Knxwledge - "Karma.Loops.Prt3" 2012
More of the same old from him. These beats are cool, don't get me wrong, but after a while they all start to sound the same. 

Mayer Hawthorne - "The Walk" 2012
This new remix of "The Walk" must be the 2012 version of the misguided euro-trash remixes that plagued hip hop in the  late 80's and early 90's. Whoever Rizzle Kicks is, needs to kill himself, seriously, for ruining this great song. On The flipside, there is a superb Chromeo Remix of "A Long Time" that redeems this single.

Eprom- "64 Bytes Remixes" 2009
I like all of these remixes. Nice and hyper without going overboard. A nice blend of sweet synth sounds, booming bass, Speak & Spell samples, and video game noises. Check out his remix of his own song.

Buckethead - "Shadows Between The Sky" 2010
This album is another really mellow one from him. People of all ages and musical tastes can enjoy this, and I never thought i'd ever be able to say that about a Buckethead album. Check out "Rim Of The World"

The Flaming Lips - "The Flaming Lips & Heady Fwends" 2012
So, this finally got a proper release, so I gave it another shot. I really think that with this guest lineup, this should be a way higher quality album. It's like he just wanted to get a Handsome Boy Modeling School style list of collaborators, and force them to do something that might be slightly more avant-garde than they normally would, but instead of it sounding really special or unique, it's just kind of annoying, and makes me think they've lost it as a band and lost touch with what actually sounds good. The only guest that makes sense to me on here is Yoko Ono, who's annoying voice fits in perfect with the production style of this album. Check out this one with Erykah Badu to see an example of how something that could have been good went wrong with their bland psychedelia.

Sixo - "Free Floating Rationales" 2012
Newer release on Fake Four Records by Sixo, a beatmaker I am unfamiliar with. I'm definitely digging this sample based production similar to labelmate Factor. Fake Four is certainly shaping a sound of their own within the underground of rap that is a lot closer to indie rock than anything that i've ever heard come out of the genre so far. This is not a bad thing at all, most of these songs sound really fresh and the opposite of generic. Check out "Government Bonds" featuring Sole and "Trees" featuring Myka 9.

Eprom - "The Bay Area EP" 2010
Best album cover ever??? He's probably been my most listened to artist on my ipod so far this month. Lots of bumpin beats and laser noises to keep me moving. 

Melvins - "Stag" 1996
This is probably going to sound bad no matter what way I say it, but I listened to this album and have no recollection of what it was like or what I thought of it. Getting old??? Do I seriously need to start taking notes for making this blog? Fuck.... This song sounds cool right now

Eprom - "Feldspar" 2011
This is just a single. The A-Side title track is cool, but the B-Side "Psycho" is super dope. I like how he keeps it semi-minimal within a hyped up theme.

No comments:

Post a Comment