Sunday, February 8, 2015

Best Of 2014: Top 10

#10: Cibo Matto - "Hotel Valentine"
Triumphant comeback album from these guys. I might even like this more than the old ones.
Key track: "Deja Vu"

#9: Buck 65 - "Neverlove"
My favorite of the 3 releases he had last year, which were all good. He goes for an interesting dynamic on this one, where he's juxtaposing his usual style with choruses sung by female singers that resemble modern pop. He somehow makes it all work.

#8: Todd Terje - "It's Album Time"
This album has got a lot of variety without going off the rails, and is beautifully produced.

#7: Paul White - "Shaker Notes"
He really flipped the script for this album and came with something way different from his previous releases, but also kicked it up a couple notches too, and made something that almost sounds otherworldly to me.

#6: Lana Del Rey - "Ultraviolence"
This was probably the biggest surprise of the year to me. The fact that this album is actually great. I didn't like hardly any of her older stuff at all, and thought she was very overrated when she first came out, but this album just kinda shuts me up and forces me to like her.
Key track: "Shades Of Cool"

#5: Ty Segall - "Manipulator"
I think that this is his ultimate album so far, but I also think he hasn't even made his ultimate album yet in his career. He's young and talented enough where I feel like this is just the beginning.
Key track: "The Singer"

#4: Igorrr & Ruby My Dear - "Maigre"
Igorrr is pretty much the most fascinating character in music for me within the last couple years. His production is so heavy handed and ridiculous, yet precise. It's been exactly what I want to hear. This little EP is a good collaboration and a stellar collection of songs.
Key track: "Biquette"

#3: Traxman - "Da Mind Of Traxman Vol. 2"
Out of all the dope releases he had last year, this was the crowning jewel to me. A modern classic.
Key track: "Ever & Always"

#2: Mr. Oizo - "The Church"
Yet another classic album to add to his list. It scares me how much I enjoy his music.
Key track: "Ham"

#1: Tobacco - "Ultima II Massage"
He's been my favorite artist for a while, and this is his ultimate album for sure. A home run, through and through.
Key track: "Streaker"

No comments:

Post a Comment