Friday, February 6, 2015

Best Of 2014: #20-11

#20: The Underachievers - "Cellar Door: Terminus Ut Exordium"
Super tight album from who I would consider the best younger duo out there in rap today.
Key track: "Metropolis"

#19: Down - "Down IV: Part II"
I find it odd that they released their 4th album as 2 long EP's, but I enjoy the end results. Super solid hard rock.
Key track: "We Knew Him Well"

#18: Mouse On Mars - "21 Again"
I know this was a compilation and not technically a "new" album, but I wasn't familiar with any of the tracks on here previously, and this is a damn good compilation.
Key track: "Lost & Found"

#17: DJ Q-Bert - "Extraterrestria"
He put out 2 albums this year, after years of no new releases. The other one, "Galaxxxian", was also cool, but mostly rap oriented, but THIS is the new Q-Bert album I was looking for. The illest scratches over some ridiculously dope production.
Key track: "Draconian"

#16: Blockhead - "Bells & Whistles"
Easily his best album since his debut, and definitely his most intricate album as well.

#15: The Budos Band - "Burnt Offering"
This is their 4th album, and they just keep getting better with each one. These are some extremely funky grooves.
Key track: "Burnt Offering"

#14: Handbraekes - "#2"
4 new tracks from the duo of Mr. Oizo and Boys Noize. I like this a little more than the first one, and I hope they continue to make these collaborations together, because they really compliment each other well.
Key track: "Bravo"

#13: Flying Lotus - "You're Dead"
This album is weird for me. It doesn't completely gel to me like all the other albums from him do, but I still deeply respect what he did here, and do still enjoy this album a lot. Good headphones or speakers are required to experience the full spectrum of what's at work here. The level of detail within the sound is astounding.
Key track: "Never Catch Me"

#12: Busdriver - "Perfect Hair
It's amazing to me that an artist like Busdriver can keep pushing his own boundaries and still be constantly evolving.
Key track: "Eat Rich"

#11: The Flaming Lips - "With A Little Help From My Fwends"
I was super skeptical about this album even being good at all, much less great, but they make it work and they make these songs their own. A psychedelic masterpiece.

No comments:

Post a Comment